Commvault Interview Questions And Answers 2020. Here Coding compiler sharing a list of 30 interview questions on Commvault. These Commvault questions were asked in various interviews conducted by top MNC companies and prepared by Commvault experts. We are sure that these real-time advanced Commvault interview questions for experienced, will help you to crack your next Commvault job interview. All the best for your future and happy learning.
Commvault Interview Questions
- What is Commvault?
- How is data protected using Commvault?
- What are the different Enterprise Data Mangement Solutions of Commvault?
- WHAT AREAS OF DATA MANAGEMENT DOES THIS COMMVAULT SUPPORT?
- WHAT IS THE BREADTH AND DEPTH OF CLOUD SUPPORT OF COMMVAULT?
- WHAT ARE THE DATA MIGRATION CAPABILITIES OF THE SYSTEM?
- WHAT DATA MANAGEMENT CAPABILITIES ARE INCLUDED IN COMMVAULT?
- HOW DOES THE DATA MANAGEMENT PLATFORM SUPPORT DATA USE?
- HOW DOES THE PLATFORM SUPPORT DISASTER RECOVERY?
- What is Application Data Management?
- What are the features of COMMVAULT’S UNIFIED SOLUTION?
- HOW COMMVAULT HELPS THROUGHOUT THE APPLICATION LIFECYCLE PROCESS?
- What are the Key features of Commvault?
- What is Native Cloud Connectivity?
- What does the Native Cloud Connector do?
Commvault Interview Questions And Answers
1) What is Commvault?
A) Commvault software assists organizations with data backup and recovery, cloud and infrastructure management, and retention and compliance.
Commvault software is an enterprise-level data platform that contains modules to back up, restore, archive, replicate, and search data. It is built from the ground-up on a single platform and unified code base.
Commvault Interview Questions # 2) How is data protected using Commvault?
A) Data is protected by installing agent software on the physical or virtual hosts, which use operating system or application native APIs to protect data in a consistent state.
Production data is processed by the agent software on client computers and backed up through a data manager, the MediaAgent, to disk, tape, or cloud storage.
All data management activity in the environment is tracked by a centralized server, the CommServe, and can be managed by administrators through a central user interface.
End users can access protected data using web browsers and mobile devices.
3) What are the different Enterprise Data Mangement Solutions of Commvault?
A) Commvault has different Enterprise Data Management Solutions, they are:
CLOUD DATA MANAGEMENT – Move, manage and use data effectively across multiple clouds and on-premises.
DATA VIRTUALIZATION – Manage virtual infrastructures as they grow and diversify, with scalable protection, rapid recovery, and self-service.
ENDPOINT PROTECTION – Secure and protect data at the network’s edge. Regain control and effectively manage the data that lives outside the datacenter.
APPLICATIONS – Drive availability and rapid recovery of applications, innovate faster, and automate the migration to the cloud.
COMMVAULT HYPERSCALE – Deliver the agility and business benefits of the cloud to your on-premises applications and data on a scale-out infrastructure.
4) WHAT AREAS OF DATA MANAGEMENT DOES THIS SYSTEM SUPPORT?
A) Commvault supports Data backup, Data recovery, Single view of on-premises and cloud data, Setting automated data policies, eDiscovery, Disaster recovery, GDPR readiness, Ransomware recovery options.
Commvault Interview Questions # 5) WHAT IS THE BREADTH AND DEPTH OF CLOUD SUPPORT?
A) Commvault supports various cloud platforms including Microsfot Azure, Amaxon AWS, Oracle Cloud, Google Cloud and Private Clouds.
- Azure Virtual Machines
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure Blob Storage (Hot and Cool and Archive)
- Azure Data Box
- Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS)
- Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3 & S3-IA)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage (OCI)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage (S3 Compatible)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Archive
- Storage Classic (OCIC)
Real-Time Commvault Interview Questions
6) WHAT ARE THE DATA MIGRATION CAPABILITIES OF THE SYSTEM?
A) Move data to the cloud
- Move data from the cloud
- Move data across cloud storage – public or private
- Built-in compression, deduplication, and encryption
- Automation to define process flows across data projects
- Orchestration from provisioning to validation
- Native cloud integrations instead of proprietary gateways
- Automated data archiving based on preset retention schedules
7) WHAT DATA MANAGEMENT CAPABILITIES ARE INCLUDED?
A) Manage data across on-premises data centers, public, and private clouds
GDPR readiness: detection of personal data for proactive data cleanup and data subject requests
Extend on-premises service level agreements (SLA) for policies to cloud
Apply consistent management policies as new data enters the environment
8) HOW DOES THE DATA MANAGEMENT PLATFORM SUPPORT DATA USE?
A) Users can discover and recover data across hybrid locations
Access data without restoring it; use data directly from the cloud repository
Single search for data indexing across on-premises and cloud storage
Quickly create new dev/test environments in the cloud using replicated data
9) HOW DOES THE PLATFORM SUPPORT DISASTER RECOVERY?
A) Manage disaster recovery across on-premises, public, and private cloud storage
Automate disaster recovery workflows with tested cloud management policies
Push-button disaster recovery processes to create cloud storage, data, and policies
Recover data and applications directly in the cloud or across platforms (physical-virtual-cloud)
Multiple recovery time objectives (RTO) and recovery point objectives (RPO) for different workloads
Commvault Interview Questions # 10) What is Application Data Management?
A) Commvault’s powerful application data management includes, application data protection and recovery solution.
Applications are managed throughout their lifecycle, accelerating the dev/test process for improved business agility, enabling the rapid recovery of production application data and the ability to meet stringent recovery SLAs, and improving application performance with data archiving while reducing your storage footprint, all using a single console that simplifies management.
Advanced Commvault Interview Questions
11) What are the features of COMMVAULT’S UNIFIED SOLUTION?
A) IMPROVE OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY
• Automate and orchestrate data movement
• Improve staff efficiency with policy-based automation
• Use a single console and gain greater visibility into data
REDUCE COSTS AND IMPROVE UTILIZATION
• Reduce data sprawl with Active Copy Management*
• Accelerate dev/test process with automated delivery of copies
• Improve application performance and optimize storage with archiving
ACHIEVE GREATER AGILITY AND SCALE
• Scale seamlessly with broad application, cloud, storage and support
• Improve RTO/RPO with automated snapshots
• Protect and manage your data throughout its lifecycle
12) HOW COMMVAULT HELPS THROUGHOUT THE APPLICATION LIFECYCLE PROCESS?
• Reduce data sprawl with policybased automation
• Accelerate the dev/test process with self-service access (no waiting for provisioning or restores)
• Automate data movement to, from, within, and between clouds with automated workflows
• Use snapshots to rapidly recover data and meet stringent RTOs/RPOs
• Improve application performance and reduce production footprint with archiving
• Retire inactive databases, search archived data, and restore to vendor neutral format
Commvault Interview Questions # 13) What are the Key features of Commvault?
A) Commvault provides the industry’s fastest, easiest access to application data:
Gain crucial insights for developing fresh products and services
Ensure production copies remain secure
Automation: Commvault automates,
- DISASTER RECOVERY
- DATA REFRESH PROCEDURES FOR TEST/DEV
• Instant data refresh and recoveries
• Support for hardware snapshots and array replication to:
• Enhance DR execution
• Simplify compliance and reporting
• Improve and automate business and dev processes
COMPLETE COVERAGE FOR TODAY’S ESSENTIAL DATABASES AND BUSINESS APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING:
ADVANCED RECOVERY AND COPY FEATURES
Speed operations with instant access and native controls.
FEATURES FOR ALL YOUR DATA COPY CHALLENGES:
• Index operations on the fly at point of recovery
• Mount a data volume to access data in native format
• Recover in the background while accessing from the repository
• Create thin copies of databases for secondary use cases
• Mirror block changes for automated failover to an alternate site
Commvault Interview Questions # 14) What is Native Cloud Connectivity?
A) The Cloud Connector is the native integration within the Media Agent module that directly communicates with Azure’s Object Storage layer, without requiring translation devices, gateways, hardware appliances or VTLs.
Scenario-Based Commvault Interview Questions
15) What does the Native Cloud Connector do?
A) This Connector works by communicating directly with Object Storage’s REST API interface over HTTPS, allowing for Media Agent deployments on both Virtual and Physical compute layers to perform read/write operations against Cloud Storage targets, reducing the Data Management solution’s TCO.
Commvault Interview Questions # 16) Can you describe Scalability in Commvault?
A) Applications grow over time, and a Data Management solution needs to adapt with the change rate to protect the dataset quickly and efficiently, while maintaining an economy of scale that continues to generate business value out of that system.
Commvault Interview Questions # 17) What are De-duplication Building Blocks?
A) Commvault software maintains a Building Block approach for protecting datasets, regardless of the origin or type of data. These blocks are sized based on the Front-End TB (FET), or the size of data they will ingest, pre-compression/de-duplication. This provides clear scale out and up guidelines for the capabilities and requirements for each Media Agent.
De-duplication Building Blocks can also be grouped together in a grid, providing further deduplication scale, load balancing and redundancy across all nodes within the grid.
18) What is Client-side De-Duplication?
A) As is the nature of de-duplication operations, each block must be hashed to determine if it is a duplicate block, or unique and then must be captured. While this is seen as a way to improve the ingest performance of the data mover (Media Agent), it has the secondary effect of reducing the network traffic stemming from each Client communicating through to the data mover.
In public cloud environments where network performance can vary, the use of Client-side DeDuplication can reduce backup windows and drive higher scale, freeing up bandwidth for both Production and Backup network traffic.
19) Can you describe Crash Consistency vs. Application Consistency?
A) While Crash-consistency within a recovery point may be sufficient for a file-based dataset or Azure VM, it may not be appropriate for an Application such as Microsoft SQL, where the database instance needs to be quiesced to ensure the database is valid at time of backup. Commvault software supports both Crash and Application consistent backups, providing flexibility in your design.
20) Explain about Storage-level Replication vs. Discrete Copies?
A) Many cloud providers support replication at the Object Storage layer from one region to another, however, in the circumstance that bad or corrupted blocks are replicated to the secondary region, your recovery points are invalid.
Commvault Interview Questions For Experienced
21) How do you Decide What to Protect in Cloud?
A) Not all workloads within the Cloud need protection – for example, with microservices architectures, or any architecture that involve worker nodes that write out the valued data to an alternate source, mean that there is no value in protecting the worker nodes. Instead, the protection of the gold images and the output of those nodes provides the best value for the business.
Commvault Interview Questions # 22) What is Automation in Commvault?
A) The cloud encourages automation, not just because the infrastructure is programmable, but the benefits of having repeatable actions reduce operational overheads, bolster resilience through known good configurations and allows for greater levels of scale.
Commvault Interview Questions # 23) What is Programmatic Data Management?
A) Commvault software provides a robust Application Programming Interface that allows for automated control over Deployment, Configuration, Backup and Restore activities within the solution.
Whether you are designing a continuous delivery model that requires the automated deployment of applications, data collection and protection, or automating the refresh of a data warehouse or Dev/Test application that leverages data protection, Commvault software can provide the controls to reduce administrative overhead and integrate with your toolset of choice.
24) Can you describe Workload Auto-Detection and Auto-Protection?
A) The Commvault Intelligent Data Agents (iDA), whether the Virtual Server Agent for Azure, or the SQL Server iDA provide auto-detection capabilities to reduce administrative load.
Fresh instances, new volumes recently attached to a VM, or databases imported and created in a SQL instance are just examples of how Commvault software can automatically detect new datasets for inclusion in the next Data Protection window, all without manual intervention.
Even agent-inguest deployments can be auto-detected by Commvault and included in the next Data Protection schedule through intelligent Client Computer Groups.
This Auto-Detection and Auto-Protection level removes the requirement for a backup or cloud administrator to manually update the solution to protect the newly created datasets, improving your operational excellence and improving resiliency within your cloud infrastructure, ensuring new data is protected and recovery points maintained.
25) Explain about Self-Service Access and Restore?
A) A common task performed by system administrators is facilitating access to recovery points for end-users and application owners, shifting their attention away from other day-to-day operations and strategic projects.
Commvault software’s self-service interfaces empower users to access their datasets through a Web-based interface, allowing security mapped access to individual files & folders within the protected dataset, freeing up administrators to work on critical tasks.
Frequently Asked Commvault Backup Interview Questions and Answers
Commvault Interview Questions # 26) What is Azure Virtual Network?
A) Azure has the capability to establish an isolated logical network, referred to as an Azure Virtual Network (AVN).
Virtual Machines deployed within a AVN by default have no access to Public Internet, and utilize a subnet of the Customer’s choice.
Typically AVN’s are used when creating a backbone between Virtual Machines, and also when establishing a dedicated network route from a Customer’s existing on-premise network directly into Azure via Azure ExpressRoute.
Commvault Interview Questions # 27) What is Data Seeding?
A) Data Seeding is moving the initial set of data from its current location to a cloud provider in a method or process that is different from regular or normal operations.
28) Explain Compression vs. De-duplication?
A) It is recommended that De-duplication should be used where possible, with the exception of environments where there are significant bandwidth concerns for re-baselining operations, or for Archive only use cases.
While additional compute resources are required to provide the necessary foundation for optimal De-duplication performance, using De-duplication even in a cloud context can still achieve greater than a 10:1 reduction.
29) How do you use Workflow to Automate DR?
A) The Commvault Workflow engine provides a framework in which the DR runbook process, covering the deployment of new instances, recovery of data and applications, and validation aspects of a DR operation can be automated to deliver a simplified, end-to-end GUI-driven DR process.
30) What is Continuous Data Replicator (CDR)?
A) CDR allows near time continuous data replication for critical workloads. Replication can be configured as Direct Replication (1:1 source to destination host), or as a Fan-in or Fan-out based replication configuration.
When to use CDR approach:
Fan-in replication of File data-sets from Remote regions to a Cloud-based host – CDR supports a fan-in based replication approach (Many-to-1) in which data from remote sites can be replicated into a target Cloud-based host
Guest-level Replication of File and SQL/Exchange data-sets – CDR can be used to perform asynchronous block-based replication of File, SQL and Exchange datasets between hosts, irrespective of the source/destination hardware/hypervisor and storage. This allows data to be kept in-sync between an on-premise host and a cloud-based host. Source
RELATED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
- Peoplesoft Admin Interview Questions
- ZooKeeper Interview Questions
- Apache Kafka Interview Questions
- Couchbase Interview Questions
- IBM Bluemix Interview Questions
- Cloud Foundry Interview Questions
- Maven Interview Questions
- VirtualBox Interview Questions
- Laravel Interview Questions
- Logstash Interview Questions
- Elasticsearch Interview Questions
- Kibana Interview Questions
- JBehave Interview Questions
- Openshift Interview Questions
- Kubernetes Interview Questions
- Nagios Interview Questions
- Jenkins Interview Questions
- Chef Interview Questions
- Puppet Interview Questions
- RPA Interview Questions And Answers
- Demandware Interview Questions
- Visual Studio Interview Questions
- Vagrant Interview Questions
- 60 Java Multiple Choice Questions
- 40 Core Java MCQ Questions
- Anaplan Interview Questions And Answers
- Tableau Multiple Choice Questions
- Python Coding Interview Questions
- CSS3 Interview Questions
- Linux Administrator Interview Questions