Python Projects – Wondering how powerful Python programming is? It’s no surprise that Python is a very powerful programming language. Here in this article, we’ve compiled a list of Python applications that demonstrate the language’s versatility. Let’s explore the 130+ useful Python projects with source code on GitHub.
Python Project Categories
We have put together a selection of Python projects from different categories.
- Python Internet Projects
- Python Audio Projects
- Python Video Projects
- Python Graphic Projects
- Python Game Projects
- Python Productivity Projects
- Python Organizing Projects
- Python Communication Projects
- Python Education Projects
- Python Science Projects
- Python CMS Projects
- Python ERP Projects
- Python Static Page Projects
- Python Development Projects
- Python SCM Tool Projects
- Python Code Review Projects
- Python Ops Projects
- Python Security Projects
- Python Editor/IDE Projects
- Python Project Manager Projects
- Python Package Store Projects
- Python Deployment Projects
- Python Shell Projects
Let’s discuss Python projects from each category.
Python Internet Projects
List of internet projects built with Python Programming language.
- Canto − RSS daemon and Canto Curses client
- Deluge is a popular, lightweight, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- gPodder – simple media aggregator and podcast player
- Pi-Hole is an application for blocking Internet tracking
- Planet is an RSS and Atom feed aggregator designed to collect posts from blogs and display them on one page
- Qute Browser − vim-looked browser based on PyQt5
- Tribler is a private BitTorrent client with P2P support
Python Audio Projects
List of audio projects built with Python Programming language.
- Beets is a music library manager with copy search, transcoding and tagging support, integration with MusicBrainz, Discogs and others
- Exaile − audio player, tag editor and library organizer
- Friture is a real-time data visualization and analysis service
- GNU Solfege – ear training program for musicians
- MusicBrainz Picard – identification and labeling of audio recordings
- SoundConverter – GNOME based audio file transcoder
Python Video Projects
List of video projects built with Python Programming language.
- Flowblade is a video editing software for Linux
- OpenShot – video editor for FreeBSD, Linux, macOS and Windows
- Pitivi is a video editor for Linux built on GStreamer
Python Graphic Projects
List of graphics projects built with Python Programming language.
- FreeCAD − 3D CAD Modeler and Building Modeling Software with Finite Element Analysis
- MakeHuman – a program for creating 3D models of humanoids
- MyPaint – raster graphics editor for artists
- OCRopus − document analysis and character recognition system
- SK1 is a multifunctional illustration program
Python Game Projects
List of Python game projects built with Python Programming language.
- Frets on Fire X – guitar, bass, drums, and vocals application
- Lucas Chess – chess client for Windows
- PyChess – advanced chess client
- PySolFC – collection of Card Solitaire/Patience games written in Python
- Unknown Horizons collection of card games – 2D strategy simulator about economy and city building
Python Productivity Apps
List of productivity projects built with Python Programming language.
- Attic – backup system with additional encryption
- Autokey – desktop automation for Linux and X11
- Bleachbit – Disk Cleanup Software
- Bup is a backup system based on git packfile
- Excalibur – web interface for extracting tabular data from PDF files
- gmvault – gmail account backup tool
- Metamorphose – a program for mass renaming files and folders
- nvda – Non-Visual Desktop Access – screen reader for Windows
- Ranger is a vim-inspired console file manager
Python Organizing App Projects
List of organizing projects built with Python Programming language.
- Caliber – An e-book manager for viewing, converting, editing
- CherryTree – A personal wiki-like notepad with text and syntax highlighting
- Gramps – Software for genealogy lovers
- Invenio – A platform to run a trusted digital repository
- PyMedusa – A video library manager for TV show, autoloaded
- Radicale – simple CalDAV (calendar) and CardDAV (contact) server
- WiKID Pad – thought pad
- Zim Wiki – wiki for note-taking, listing and drafting
Python Communication App Projects
List of communication app projects built with Python Programming language.
- Askbot is a web platform similar to StackOverflow with tags, reputation, icons
- Gajim is a lightweight instant messaging client using the XMPP protocol
- GlobaLeaks is a web application for secure and anonymous distribution of alerts
- Mailman is a web application and mail server for managing subscriptions and archives
- Mailpile is an email client with encryption and privacy features
- Modoboa is a mail hosting and management platform with a Django based interface. Integrates with Postfix and Dovecot
- MoinMoin is a native Python web program for creating wikis
- OfflineIMAP – IMAP reader and synchronizer
- Pootle is a collaborative translation web application
- RapidSMS – SMS text messaging platform
- Seafile – file storage and synchronization system
- TahoeLAFS – cloud storage system for reliable distributed data storage
- Virtaal – a graphical interface for translation with support for various formats
- Zulip is a powerful chat server and web client with support for streaming conversations
Python Education Projects
List of education projects built with Python Programming language.
- Anki is a desktop application for memorization using flash cards
- Mnemosyne – spaced repetition program for effective memorization
- NBGrader is a Jupyter-based application that allows educators to create and grade assignments
- Open edX Platform – a platform for creating online courses
Python Science Projects
List of science projects built with Python Programming language.
- ASCEND – system of mathematical modeling of chemical processes
- CellProfiler – interactive data exploration, analysis and classification of biological image sets
- CoCalc – collaborative computing in the cloud with support for the scientific stack of Python, SageMath, R, LaTeX, Markdown. Chat, course management and other features are also included
- Dissem.in is a web-based platform that helps researchers upload their papers to open access repositories
- Mayavi is a universal tool for visualizing scientific data
- Veusz – scientific 2D and 3D graphs for creating publish-ready PDF or SVG graphs
Python CMS Projects
List of cms projects built with Python Programming language.
- Abilian SBE – open source software for company business management
- Django-CMS is a content management system based on the Django framework with version control, multi-site support and more
- Ella is a Django-based content management system with a focus on global news sites and online magazines
- Mezzanine is a flexible content management platform built on the Django platform
- Plone is an extensible enterprise content management system based on Zope
- Plumi is a content management system for video sharing based on Plone
- Saleor is a modular e-commerce platform based on Django, GraphQL and ReactJS
- Wagtail is a content management system focused on flexibility and usability
Python ERP Projects
List of erp projects built with Python Programming language.
- ERP5 is a web-based ERP, CRM, DMS and Big Data system with hundreds of built-in modules designed for scalability
- ERPNext is a web-based ERP system with Accounting, Inventory, CRM, Sales, Procurement, Project Management and HR. Built on Frappe and MariaDB.
- Odoo − ERP and CRM with many built-in modules
- Tryton is a modular web ERP designed for companies of all sizes
Python Static Page Creation Projects
List of static page creation projects built with Python Programming language.
- Cactus – page generator using Django templates
- Chert – generator with built-in list support
- Lektor – static page generator with built-in admin console
- Nikola – customizable generator with support for Markdown, reST, Jupyter and HTML
- Pelican – generator with support for Markdown and reST syntaxes
Python Development Projects
List of Python development, SCM, core review, Ops projects built with Python Programming language.
Python SCM Projects
- Git Cola is a cross-platform wrapper for GUI git
- GNU Bazaar – distributed and client-server version control system
- Patchwork – a system for tracking patches in code
- RhodeCode – source code management platform
- Roundup is a system for tracking problems with interfaces, network and e-mail
- ViewVC – browser-based interface for CVS and subversion control
Python Code Review Proects
- Meld is a visual file and directory comparison tool that supports many version control systems including Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and Subversion
- Review Board – a tool for checking the code of projects
- Rietveld is a Django-based collaborative code review tool for Subversion
Python Ops Projects
- Ansible – playbook-based automation
- Barman – remote backup and disaster recovery for PostgreSQL
- Cobbler is a Linux installation server that allows you to quickly set up network installation environments
- fail2ban – daemon for banning hosts that cause authentication failures on Linux servers
- Ganeti is a virtual machine management tool based on existing virtualization technologies such as Xen and KVM
- Gunicorn is a forked WSGI server running as a counterpart to Unicorn
- Iris is an automated incident notification system developed and used by LinkedIn
- NColony − process manager
- OpenStack is a cloud operating system that manages pools of compute, storage, and network resources in a data center
- pgcli is an interactive PostgreSQL client that performs autocompletion and syntax highlighting
- WAL-E – archiving PostgreSQL WAL files and backups
Python Security Projects
List of security projects built with Python Programming language.
- Cowrie – software for detecting hacker attacks and identifying their sources
- MITMproxy – interactive TLS protocol with the ability to intercept HTTP proxy for penetration testers and software developers
- PyEW – malware analysis tool
- XSStrike − An XSS detection package equipped with handwritten parsers, a fuzzing engine, and a performance scanner
Python Editor/IDE Projects
List of IDE projects built with Python Programming language.
- Eric IDE – Python editor and Qt based IDE with integrated Scintilla management
- Gedit – GNOME text editor
- Jupyter Notebook is a web environment for interactive computing
- Komodo Edit is a multilingual code editor written in JS, Python and C++ based on the Mozilla platform
- Leo Editor – personal information manager
- mu is a small, simple editor designed for beginner Python programmers.
- Ninja IDE is a cross-platform Python IDE with project management, linting, extensions
- Pluma – UTF-8 editor for MATE
- Spyder IDE – a scientific environment for scientists, engineers and data analysts using Python
- Thonny is a Python development environment for beginners designed to teach programming
Python Package Manager Projects
List of package managers built with Python Programming language.
- Conda is an OS-independent system binary package manager and ecosystem, with a focus on Python
- dnf – Dandified YUM (DNF) – successor to yum
- pip – Python package manager
- pipenv – a wrapper around pip, virtualenv and pip-tools for a more comfortable package management process
- Poetry – An independent approach to dependency management and packaging in Python
- Portage is a package management system created and used by Gentoo Linux, as well as Chrome OS, Sabayon, and Funtoo Linux
- yum – automatic package upgrade and install/remove tool for RPM-based systems (Fedora, RHEL)
Python Package Storage Projects
List of package storage projects built with Python Programming language.
- Bandersnatch is a PyPI mirror client conforming to PEP 381
- devpi – PyPI staging server, packaging, test, release tool with web and search interface – like PyPI
- Warehouse – server software that supports PyPI, where most of the Python libraries are loaded from
Python Deployment Projects
List of deployment projects built with Python Programming language.
- bitbake is a task execution engine that allows shell and Python tasks to be executed efficiently and in parallel while working within complex dependency constraints between tasks
- buildbot is a scheduling system that takes into account the needs of continuous integration and software packaging
- Buildout – deployment automation tool
- GYP − AKA ‘Generate Your Projects’, a build system that generates other build systems
- Meson is a build system designed for speed and ease of use
- Pants – assembly of a system designed for monolithic storage
Python Shell Projects
List of shell projects built with Python Programming language.
- Oil – a new shell compatible with bash and dash , with an improved native language
- Xonsh is a cross-platform shell language and command line. The language is a superset of Python 3.4+ with additional shell primitives.
- What is Python?
- Python Advantages
- Python For Beginners
- Python For Machine Learning
- Machine Learning For Beginners